The World Council of Optometry (WCO) is an international optometric organization founded in 1927. We envision a world where high quality eye health and vision care is accessible to
all people. When you join the WCO, you join a group of more than 200,000 optometrists in almost 60 countries through more than 200 affiliate, associate, corporate and individual memberships across six world regions.
Here is how the WCO is making a difference.
• Bringing the global voice of optometry to the highest levels of influence and decision making
• Advocating for the recognition and development of optometry across the world
• Increasing public awareness and celebrating the role of optometry and optometrists
• Developing strategic partnerships to support optometry at local and international levels
• Responding to our members and supporting their initiatives
• Assisting in optometry education standards and generating evidence
• Providing networking platforms through social media, meetings and committee participation
• Sharing information and communicating effectively with members, the optometric community and our partners
Let’s work together.
The enormity of the need for worldwide eye care and expanding the role of optometry globally is a daunting task. However, by working together, we can have significant and meaningful results. The WCO works in partnership with our members and many global organizations that share our vision of high quality eye health and vision care for all people. Our
• Optometry Giving Sight (OGS)
• International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB)
• Our Children’s Vision (OCV)
• World Health Organization (WHO)
• Brien Holden Vision Institute BHVI)
Together, we have seen the launch of “Our Children’s Vision” (OCV), a worldwide initiative whose initial target is to provide eye care services to 50 million children by 2020. With the support of our members, we will be an integral partner in reaching this attainable goal.
You can make a difference.
Join the WCO, and help shape the future of eye care around the world.
• Improve the provision of eye and vision care for the world’s population
• Gain access to online continuing education
• Stay up to date on issues that matter to you and the profession
• Apply for funding from the WCO Fellowship Program for innovative global optometric initiatives to improve vision and eye care
• Ensure that optometry is an autonomous profession
WCO Member Certificate
Your participation in the WCO and other organizations shows your commitment to optometry, elevating you as a professional. After joining the WCO, you will be sent an exclusive WCO member certificate to print and display in your office for viewing by patients, colleagues and your local community.
As a WCO member you will also receive:
• Your name listed as a member on the WCO website
• WCO logo for your use on websites, stationery, electronic media and local advertising
• Worldwide networking opportunities with other optometric professionals through meetings and social media
• The opportunity to participate in WCO member committees
• Full access to WCO website content
With your support the WCO will be able to continue its work, focusing on:
• Meeting optometry’s global response to the WHO’s 25 percent reduction of avoidable visual impairment by 2019
• Supporting individual member country requests for optometry development and regulation
• Advocacy workshops, the next of which will be held at the 2nd World Congress in Hyderabad, India in 2017
• Expanding the World Continuing Education Alliance (WCEA), our online continuing education platform
• Increasing member outreach focusing on individuals, associations, universities and other organizations