Meet Dr. Timothy Fricke:
Supporting Optometry Programs in Vietnam Through the WCO Fellowship Programme
Dr. Timothy Fricke of Melbourne, Australia was recently granted a fellowship to support emergent optometry programs in Vietnam. His work for the fellowship will begin November 7, 2018 and end December 1, 2018. Dr. Fricke has been mentoring eye care educators in Vietnam since 2008. Given the size of the Vietnamese population, the speed of development of optometry throughout the country, and potential for regional leadership it is critical for optometry to be successful in Vietnam. Dr. Fricke’s fellowship will contribute to a small but significant component of this process – supporting delivery of evidence-based binocular vision education in optometry in Vietnam.
Dr. Fricke will:
- Deliver lectures/practicals/examination supervision with optometry students in Hanoi, Vietnam (collaborating with local optometry lecturers as part of their mentoring).
- Deliver professional development for optometry practitioners and educators, as well as ophthalmologists and ophthalmic nurses in Hanoi.
- Participate in the Vietnam Ophthalmology Society Congress 2018 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Participate in advocacy meetings with a range of stakeholders to promote optometry education, integration of optometry into the health system, and opportunities for optometry graduates (noting that the first local optometry students are graduating in 2018).
- Mentor optometry lecturers in Hanoi, and also Ho Chi Minh City during the Vietnam Ophthalmology Society Congress 2018.
- Advise on improvements for the Vietnam optometry curriculum.